Introduction to the Vascular Plant List, Oakmead Herbarium
Web Version with Photo Links
Jasper Ridge Biological Preserve, Stanford University
Scientific names follow TJM2 and supplements; we also include plants and names not treated by TJM2 and supplements. Following the Marin Flora, 2nd ed, 2007: “We include here as naturalized species those that are established and have a true competitive status without cultivation whether the plant is aggressively spreading or seems only passively and locally established. . . . Experience has shown that the waifs of today may become the weeds of tomorrow.”
Abbreviations & Symbols
Documentation Type and Plant Status:
SPEC—Specimen, at the Jasper Ridge herbarium (JROH). Plant is presumed present unless otherwise noted.
spec—Specimen but no documentation post-1993 (recent 25 years of herbarium team surveys).
SPEC$—Specimen, at herbaria other than Jasper Ridge.
spec$—Specimen at herbaria other than Jasper Ridge, but no documentation post-1993
DOC—Documented, plant observed and/or photographed by herbarium team but not vouchered.
REP—Reported, usually by more than one observer with detailed location information. No known specimen; unconfirmed by herbarium team.
rep — No documentation post-1993 (recent 25 years of herbarium team surveys).
Rare, Naturalized, Waif, Hybrid, etc.:
* non-native species naturalized in California
! California native species not native to the Preserve or surrounding area
N—persistent at JRBP and not mentioned or mentioned and not given taxonomic status in TJM2
W—persisitent, sometimes reproducing at JRBP and considered a waif in our bioregion according to TJM2. Waif designates a taxon occurring as a garden escape, agricultural weed, or non-native species that does not become naturalized in our region, but may be naturalized in other parts of California
Misc. Abbreviations and Acronyms:
cf.—compare. The specimen does not exactly match the species and/or a key element (e.g., fruit) is lacking.
CNPS—California Native Plant Society
CNPS Inventory R&E Plants—California Native Plant Society Inventory of Rare, Threatened, and Endangered Plants of California, see below
Consortium—Consortium of California Herbaria
JRBP—Jasper Ridge Biological Preserve, Stanford University
RANK—California Rare Plant Rank, see below
SM—San Mateo County
TJM1—The Jepson Manual, Hickman et al., 1993.
TJM2—The Jepson Manual, 2nd ed., Baldwin et al., 2012
Questions, Corrections and Changes to the Web Plant List
- Artemisia biennis: Delete note; revouchered 10/2020.
- Bromus commutatus: not reported since 1975.
- Cuscuta californica var californica: not reported since Dengler 1975.
- Cuscuta subinclusa SPEC (plant ID 264).
- Remove Quercus wislizeni (plant ID 348).
- Quercus X chasei (Quercus agrifolia var. a. X Q. kelloggii).
- QuercusX jolonensis(Quercus douglasii X Q. lobata).
- Quercus X morehus (Quercus wislizeni X Q. kelloggii) spec; change note to "No current location".
- Lessingia pectinata var. tenuipes( L. glandulifera var. g).
- Phyla nodiflora SPEC (most recent observation is 5/21/2001).
- Spirodela polyrhiza spec.
- Remove Centaurium tenuiflorum: redetermined Zeltnera muehlenbergii.
- Bromus berteroanus : non-native TJM2 supplement.
- Festuca arundinacea x: Change to x Schedololium loliaceum (Huds.) Holub: the branched hybrid of Lolium multiflorum Lam., or Lolium perenne L., with Festuca arundinacea Schreber: Sensu Catalogue of new world grasses http://www.tropicos.org/Name/50122133?projectid=10 6/7/2017
- Malacothamnus fasciculatus var. nuttallii: typo.
- Medicago arabica: non-native.
- Stephanomeria virgata var. ? : typo.
- Typha angustifolia: non-native TJM2.
- Zantedeschia aethiopica : status change to SPEC; delete note
- Brassica rapa : delete note "Not reported since 1989"; collected 2/13/18.
- Cystopteris transferred to Cystopteridaceae from Woodsiaceae.
- Orobanche bulbosa changed to Aphyllon tuberosum .
- Orobanche fasciculata changed toAphyllon fasciculatum .
- Orobanche uniflora (misapplied; not in California) changed to Aphyllon purpureum.
- Orobanche vallicola changed to Aphyllon vallicolum.
- Prunus sp. changed to Prunus cerasifera.
- Typha angustifolia, add note "There is strong evidence that Typha angustifolia was introduced from Europe to the Atlantic Coast in colonial times; it has been known from California since at least 1909" (TJM2).
- Add Ulex europaeus.
- Lepdium campestre; Waif, remove from list.
- Add Castilleja wightii spec, add note "Collected once in 1961 along Corte Madera Creek, south end of Preserve"
- Dysphania ambrosioides SPEC: delete note "Collected 1964-1980; not reported since"
- Lepidium pinnatifidum: delete note "Collected in 1972 at Low Flow Crossing; not seen since"
- Mimulus aurantiacus var. aurantiacus changed to Diplacus aurantiacus.
- Mimulus cardinalis changed to Erythranthe cardinalis.
- Mimulus douglasii changed to Diplacus douglasii.
- Mimulus guttatus (in part) changed to Erythranthe microphylla.
- Mimulus guttatus (in part) changed to Erythranthe guttata.
- Polystichum californicum SPEC add to plant list.
- Corallorhiza maculata add note "Undetermined to variety; uncommon, Trail 12; not reported since 2002"
- Delete note for Corallorhiza maculata var. occidentalis. Change status to SPEC
- Juglans hindsii (J. californica var. hindsii): remove listed species symbol «.
- Navarretia heterodoxa: add note "Style, stamens exerted".
- Navarretia squarrosa: add note "Style, stamens included; stamen attachment in floral tube".
- Add Dryopteris expansa SPEC
- Ranunculus californicus Add note "Abnormal forms are found in which all flower parts are sepaloid"
- Add Trifolium amoenum spec$ Add note: "Historical voucher"
- Add Logfia filaginoides SPEC
- Add *Trifolium angustifolium NARROW-LEAVED CLOVER SPEC #950
- Delete Trifolium arvense; Add name to list of Rejected Reports
- Add Sagina decumbens ssp. occidentalis SPEC, Add note "Typically 4-merous locally; petals=sepals; upper leaf-pair bases glabrous"
- Sagina apetala, Add note: "Petals 0; upper leaf-pair bases ciliate"
- Corallorhiza maculata var. maculata > Corallorhiza maculata; Update note: "Undetermined to var. Uncommon Trail 12; not seen since 2002"
- Actaea rubra: Delete note: "Not observed since . . ."
- Epilobium torreyi: Delete note: "Collected from 1961– 1967 in blue oak woodland along Road F and along Road E; not reported since."
- Add note to Clarkia rubicunda "Ovary 4-grooved; reddish spot or zone at petals' base"
- Add note to Epilobium minutum "Annual; seed hair-tuft; locally abundant (vs E. torreyi)"
- Change note for Epilobium torreyi to "Annual; seed hair-tuft; locally abundant (vs E. minutum)"
- Delete note for Oenothera elata ssp. hookeri
- Add note to Delphinium patens ssp. patens: "Not on serpentine"
- Add Camissoniopsis intermedia INTERMEDIATE SUNCUP SPEC #949
- Add *Galium parisiense WALL BEDSTRAW SPEC #951
- Acer negundo (A. n. var. californicum): print version check extra space between A. n.
- Family heading for Scrophulariaceae: remove close parens after (includes BUDDLEJACEAE
- Delete *Lycopersicon esculentum TOMATO SPEC 800 (moved to WAIF List)
- Add Parthenocissus inserta WOODBINE SPEC #948
- Vitis vinifera: change note to "Planted at Hermit Cabin site; persistent"
- *Lepidium pinnatifidum; delete note "not reported since 1972"
- Delete family AGAPANTHACEAE – AGAPANTHUS FAMILY; add Agapanthus sp. to family AMARYLLIDACEAE – AMARYLLIS FAMILY
- Agapanthus: add note "Red-Hot Poker Meadow; persistent"
- Allium amplectens: change note to "Flower pinkish-white w/pinkish midveins, papery when dry, 6 prominent ovary crests"
- Allium lacunosum: change note to "Flower white w/dark midveins, ovary crests 3, minute, 2-lobed"
- Allium peninsulare var. franciscanum: change note to "Flower bright red-purple on long pedicel in open head"
- Allium triquetrum: change note to "Flower white; stem triangular"
- Allium unifolium: change note to "Flower pink"
- Add new entry Arum italicum (Araceae) ITALIAN ARUM – DOC – 953
- Change common name Scrophularia californica to CALIFORNIA FIGWORT, BEE PLANT
- Add Arctostaphylos canescens ssp. canescens-- spec --plus note etc
- Change Thysanocarpus curvipes to Thysanocarpus curvipes ssp. curvipes and note "fruit usually < 5 mm long, margins entire"
- Add Thysanocarpus curvipes ssp. elegans --SPEC-- and note "fruit > 6 mm long, margins perforated" #947
- Add *Rhamnus alaternus--SPEC-- #
- Delete Lepdidium campestre — poor specimen, inconclusive; add to under-documented/rejected names list
- Asparagus officinalis ssp. officinalis : add note "Occasional in dry beds of Bear Creek and San Francisquito Creek"
- Cyperus difformis : change note "Collected in 1980; not reported since"
- Triglochin scilloides : add note "Documented in Report for the Boething Tree Nursery, 2005
- Hyacinthoides hispanica : add note "Near Douglas' Iris site; persistent. Not in TJM2"
- Bromus berteroanus (B. trinii) add open diamond to print list, considered naturalized in TJM2
- *? Typha angustifolia : change note to: "Naked stem between staminate and pistillate flowers generally 1-12 cm. Nativity uncertain as in TJM2"
- Delete Medicago sativa, now listed as a Waif, ag escape
- Delete Impatien balfourii, now listed as a Waif, garden escape and delete family BALSAMIACEAE
- Delete Abutilon theophrasti, now listed as a Waif, garden escape
- New entry (plant number not yet assigned) Ancistrocarphus filagineus – ASTERACEAE – DOC
- Antirrhinum vexillocalyculatum ssp. v.: Revise note to: Springer 1935 “edge of shady area at the margin of the lake. Three specimens in June and July”; seedlings photographed in 2019
- Calamagrostis rubescens: remove boldface; no longer designated Locally Rare
- Piperia elegans ssp. elegans (P. elegans): Update note to "Springer 1935 “three specimens seen in shady woods, in June and July.” Trails b and c"
- Piperia transversa: Update note to "Road E; Trail 4; Bird Path behind Hillside Lab; usually growing near madrone"
- New entry (plant number not yet assigned) Sesuvium verrucosum – AIZOACEAE, ICEPLANT FAMILY – SPEC
- New entry (plant number not yet assigned) Malvella leprosa – MALVACEAE – SPEC
- Najas marina: change status to DOC, delete note
- *Artemisia biennis: change note to "Searsville Lake, 1924 to present"
- Persicaria lapathifolia: change note to "Searsville Lake, 1909 to present"
- Amaranthus californicus: change status to SPEC
- Polypodium californicum changed to Polypodium calirhiza/californicum. Change note to: "Chromosome count or spore measurement needed (Sigel 2014)"
- Elymus trachycaulus ssp. trachycaulus SLENDER WHEATGRASS SPEC 955
- Marrubium vulgare: Delete from note "Single plant found in 2001 near Dennis Martin site; not seen since 2004".
- Lasthenia gracilis, change note to: Drier serpentine soil (vs. L. californica ssp. c.); pappus white opaque lance-ovate scales or 0
- Lasthenia californica ssp. californica, change note to: Wetter serpentine soil (vs. L. gracilis); pappus more or less clear linear to awl-like scales or 0