Introduction to the Vascular Plant List, Oakmead Herbarium
Jasper Ridge Biological Preserve Plant List
Web Version with Photo Links
All plants documented, almost always by specimen(s) in the Oakmead Herbarium, Jasper Ridge Biological Preserve, or occasionally in other herbaria. Waifs, i.e., plants appearing for a season or two but not persisting, unconfirmed reports, and those earlier included based on misidentification are on separate lists. Documented plants that have gone missing are listed as disappearances and declines.
Scientific names follow TJM2 and supplements; we also include plants and names not treated by TJM2 and supplements. Following the Marin Flora, 2nd ed, 2007: “We include here as naturalized species those that are established and have a true competitive status without cultivation whether the plant is aggressively spreading or seems only passively and locally established. . . . Experience has shown that the waifs of today may become the weeds of tomorrow.”
Abbreviations & Symbols
Documentation Type and Plant Status:
SPEC—Specimen, at the Jasper Ridge herbarium (JROH). Plant is presumed present unless otherwise noted.
spec—Specimen but no documentation post-1993 (recent 25 years of herbarium team surveys).
SPEC$—Specimen, at herbaria other than Jasper Ridge.
spec$—Specimen at herbaria other than Jasper Ridge, but no documentation post-1993
DOC—Documented, plant observed and/or photographed by herbarium team but not vouchered.
REP—Reported, usually by more than one observer with detailed location information. No known specimen; unconfirmed by herbarium team.
rep — No documentation post-1993 (recent 25 years of herbarium team surveys).
Rare, Naturalized, Waif, Hybrid, etc.:
* non-native species naturalized in California
! California native species not native to the Preserve or surrounding area
N—persistent at JRBP and not mentioned or mentioned and not given taxonomic status in TJM2
W—persisitent, sometimes reproducing at JRBP and considered a waif in our bioregion according to TJM2. Waif designates a taxon occurring as a garden escape, agricultural weed, or non-native species that does not become naturalized in our region, but may be naturalized in other parts of California
Misc. Abbreviations and Acronyms:
cf.—compare. The specimen does not exactly match the species and/or a key element (e.g., fruit) is lacking.
CNPS—California Native Plant Society
CNPS Inventory R&E Plants—California Native Plant Society Inventory of Rare, Threatened, and Endangered Plants of California
Consortium—Consortium of California Herbaria
JRBP—Jasper Ridge Biological Preserve, Stanford University
RANK—California Rare Plant Rank, see below
SM—San Mateo County
TJM1—The Jepson Manual, Hickman et al., 1993.
TJM2—The Jepson Manual, 2nd ed., Baldwin et al., 2012
Questions, Corrections and Changes to the Web Plant List
- Artemisia biennis : website is correct Dengler 1975 (p.27). 1924 is the date of the only voucher.
- Bromus commutatus : not reported since 1975; website updated.
- Cuscuta californica var californica : not reported since Dengler 1975; website updated.
- Cuscuta subinclusa : ID 264; website updated.
- Quercus wislizeni (Booklet ID 348, not reported since 1975) : Only Q. w. var. frutescens (ID 347) is reliably documented for the Preserve. FNA treatment doesn't recognize vars
- Quercus x chasei : Quercus agrifolia var. a. X Q. kelloggii; website updated.
- Quercus x jolonensis : Quercus douglasii X Q. lobata; website updated.
- Quercus x morehus Quercus wislizeni X Q. kelloggii; website updated.
- Lessingia pectinata var. tenuipes : L. glandulifera var. g.; website updated.
- Phyla nodiflora : most recent observation is 5/21/2001; website updated.
- Spirodela polyrhiza : not reported since 1992; website updated.
- Centaurium tenuiflorum : redetermined Zeltnera muehlenbergii; website updated.
- Bromus berteroanus : non-native TJM2 supplement; website updated.
- Festuca arundinacea x : xSchedololium loliaceum (Huds.) Holub: the branched hybrid of Lolium multiflorum Lam., or Lolium perenne L., with Festuca arundinacea Schreber : Sensu Catalogue of new world grasses 6/7/2017; website updated
- Malacothamnus fasciculatus var. nuttallii (syn. M. arcuatus): typo; website updated.
- Medicago arabica : non-native; website updated.
- Stephanomeria virgata var. ? : typo; website updated.
- Typha angustifolia : non-native TJM2: website updated.
- Zantedeschia aethiopica : status change to SPEC; website updated
- Brassica rapa : DELETE note "not reported since 1989"; collected 2/13/18
- Cystopteris CHANGE to Cystopteridaceae from Woodsiaceae
- Orobanche bulbosa CHANGE to Aphyllon tuberosum
- Orobanche fasciculata CHANGE to Aphyllon fasciculatum
- Orobanche uniflora (misapplied; not in California) CHANGE to Aphyllon purpureum
- Orobanche vallicola CHANGE to Aphyllon vallicolum
Parthenocissussp. : added; first report 9/12/2017 in Bear Creek, by Herbarium Group; control effort
- Prunus sp. CHANGE to Prunus cerasifera
- Typha angustifolia : ADD note "There is strong evidence that Typha angustifolia was introduced from Europe to the Atlantic Coast in colonial times; it has been known from California since at least 1909" (TJM2)
- Ulex europaeus (GORSE) : added
- DELETE Lepdium campestre : removed; waif
- Dysphania ambrosioides: DELETE note: Collected 1964-1980; not reported since
- Lepidium pinnatifidum: DELETE note: Collected in 1972 at Low Flow Crossing; not seen since
- ADD Castilleja wightii SPEC; ADD note"Collected once in 1961 along Corte Madera Creek, south end of Preserve"
- Dysphania ambrosioides SPEC: DELETE note "Collected 1964-1980; not reported since"
- Lepidium pinnatifidum: DELETE note "Collected in 1972 at Low Flow Crossing; not seen since"
- Mimulus aurantiacus var. aurantiacus CHANGE to Diplacus aurantiacus.
- Mimulus cardinalis CHANGE to Erythranthe cardinalis.
- Mimulus douglasii CHANGE to Diplacus douglasii.
- Mimulus guttatus (in part) CHANGE to Erythranthe microphylla.
- Mimulus guttatus (in part) CHANGE to Erythranthe guttata.
- ADD Polystichum californicum SPEC.
- Corallorhiza maculata ADD note "Undetermined to variety; uncommon, Trail 12; not reported since 2002"
- DELETE note for Corallorhiza maculata var. occidentalis. Change status to SPEC
- Juglans hindsii (J. californica var. hindsii): REMOVE listed species symbol «.
- Navarretia heterodoxa: ADD note "Style, stamens exerted".
- Navarretia squarrosa: ADD note "Style, stamens included; stamen attachment in floral tube".
- ADD Dryopteris expansa SPEC
- Ranunculus californicus ADD note "Abnormal forms are found in which all flower parts are sepaloid"
- ADD Trifolium amoenum spec$ ADD note: "Historical voucher"
- ADD Logfia filaginoides SPEC
- ADD *Trifolium angustifolium NARROW-LEAVED CLOVER SPEC #950
- Delete Trifolium arvense; ADD name to list of Rejected Reports
- ADD Sagina decumbens ssp. occidentalis SPEC, Add note "Typically 4-merous locally; petals=sepals; upper leaf-pair bases glabrous"
- Sagina apetala, ADD note: "Petals 0; upper leaf-pair bases ciliate"
- Corallorhiza maculata var. maculata > Corallorhiza maculata; CHANGE note: "Undetermined to var. Uncommon Trail 12; not seen since 2002"
- Actaea rubra: DELETE note: "Not observed since . . ."
- Epilobium torreyi: DELETE note: "Collected from 1961– 1967 in blue oak woodland along Road F and along Road E; not reported since."
- ADD note to Clarkia rubicunda "Ovary 4-grooved; reddish spot or zone at petals' base"
- ADD note to Epilobium minutum "Annual; seed hair-tuft; locally abundant (vs E. torreyi)"
- CHANGE note for Epilobium torreyi to "Annual; seed hair-tuft; locally abundant (vs E. minutum)"
- DELETE note for Oenothera elata ssp. hookeri
- ADD note to Delphinium patens ssp. patens: "Not on serpentine"
- ADD Camissoniopsis intermedia INTERMEDIATE SUNCUP SPEC #949
- ADD *Galium parisiense WALL BEDSTRAW SPEC #951
- Acer negundo (A. n. var. californicum): print version check extra space between A. n.
- Family heading for Scrophulariaceae: REMOVE close parens after (includes BUDDLEJACEAE
- DELETE *Lycopersicon esculentum TOMATO SPEC 800 (moved to WAIF List)
Add Parthenocissus inserta WOODBINE SPEC #948
- Vitis vinifera: CHANGE note to "Planted at Hermit Cabin site; persistent"
- *Lepidium pinnatifidum; DELETE note "not reported since 1972"
- DELETE family AGAPANTHACEAE – AGAPANTHUS FAMILY; ADD Agapanthus sp. to family AMARYLLIDACEAE – AMARYLLIS FAMILY
- Agapanthus: ADD note "Red-Hot Poker Meadow; persistent"
- Allium amplectens: CHANGE note to "Flower pinkish-white w/pinkish midveins, papery when dry, 6 prominent ovary crests"
- Allium lacunosum: CHANGE note to "Flower white w/dark midveins, ovary crests 3, minute, 2-lobed"
- Allium peninsulare var. franciscanum: CHANGE note to "Flower bright red-purple on long pedicel in open head"
- Allium triquetrum: CHANGE note to "Flower white; stem triangular"
- Allium unifolium: CHANGE note to "Flower pink"
- ADD Arum italicum (Araceae) ITALIAN ARUM – DOC – #953
- CHANGE common name Scrophularia californica to CALIFORNIA FIGWORT, BEE PLANT
- ADD Arctostaphylos canescens ssp. canescens-- spec --plus note etc
- CHANGE Thysanocarpus curvipes to Thysanocarpus curvipes ssp. curvipes and note "fruit usually < 5 mm long, margins entire"
- ADD Thysanocarpus curvipes ssp. elegans --SPEC-- and note "fruit > 6 mm long, margins perforated" – #947
- ADD *Rhamnus alaternus – ITALIAN BUCKTHORN – SPEC – #952
- DELETE Lepdidium campestre — poor specimen, inconclusive; add to under-documented/rejected names list
- Asparagus officinalis ssp. officinalis : ADD note "Occasional in dry beds of Bear Creek and San Francisquito Creek"
- Cyperus difformis : CHANGE note "Collected in 1980; not reported since"
- Triglochin scilloides : ADD note "Documented in Report for the Boething Tree Nursery, 2005
- Hyacinthoides hispanica : ADD note "Near Douglas' Iris site; persistent. Not in TJM2"
- Bromus berteroanus (B. trinii) ADD open diamond to print list, considered naturalized in TJM2
- *? Typha angustifolia : CHANGE note to: "Naked stem between staminate and pistillate flowers generally 1-12 cm. Nativity uncertain as in TJM2"
- DELETE Medicago sativa, now listed as a Waif, ag escape
- DELETE Impatien balfourii, now listed as a Waif, garden escape and delete family BALSAMIACEAE
- DELETE Abutilon theophrasti, now listed as a Waif, garden escape
- ADD Ancistrocarphus filagineus – ASTERACEAE – DOC – #957
- Antirrhinum vexillocalyculatum ssp. v.: CHANGE note to: Springer 1935 “edge of shady area at the margin of the lake. Three specimens in June and July”; seedlings photographed in 2019
- Calamagrostis rubescens: REMOVE boldface; no longer designated Locally Rare
- Piperia elegans ssp. elegans (P. elegans): CHANGE note to "Springer 1935 “three specimens seen in shady woods, in June and July.” Trails b and c"
- Piperia transversa: CHANGE note to "Road E; Trail 4; Bird Path behind Hillside Lab; usually growing near madrone"
- ADD Sesuvium verrucosum – AIZOACEAE, ICEPLANT FAMILY – SPEC – #961
- ADD Malvella leprosa – MALVACEAE – SPEC – #960
- Najas marina: CHANGE status to DOC, delete note
- *Artemisia biennis: CHANGE note to "Searsville Lake, 1924 to present"
- Persicaria lapathifolia: CHANGE note to "Searsville Lake, 1909 to present"
- Amaranthus californicus: CHANGE status to SPEC
- Polypodium californicum changed to Polypodium calirhiza/californicum. CHANGE note to: "Chromosome count or spore measurement needed (Sigel 2014)"
- ADD Elymus trachycaulus ssp. trachycaulus – SLENDER WHEATGRASS – SPEC – #955
- Marrubium vulgare: DELETE from note "Single plant found in 2001 near Dennis Martin site; not seen since 2004".
- Lasthenia gracilis, CHANGE note to: Drier serpentine soil (vs. L. californica ssp. c.); pappus white opaque lance-ovate scales or 0
- Lasthenia californica ssp. californica, CHANGE note to: Wetter serpentine soil (vs. L. gracilis); pappus more or less clear linear to awl-like scales or 0
- ADD « Amsinckia lunaris – BENTFLOWER FIDDLENECK – Corolla bilateral symmetry; throat with reddish splotches – DOC – #963 [Calflora]
- ADD *Lotus tenuis – NARROW-LEAF BIRD'SFOOT TREFOIL – SPEC – #964 [Calflora]
- ADD Persicaria hydropiperoides – WATER PEPPER – SPEC – #965 [Calflora]
- ADD Faxinius latifolia – OREGON ASH – SPEC – #967 [Calflora]
- ADD Symphyotrichum subulatum var. parviflorum – ANNUAL SALTMARSH ASTER – SPEC – #966 [Calflora]
- DELETE Parthenocissus inserta WOODBINE SPEC #948 (redetermined P. quinquefolia)
- Boykinia occidentalis – DELETE note "Collected in 1969 “N side of San Francisquito Creek just above falls in creek”; not reported since" and CHANGE spec to SPEC
- *Amaranthus albus – DELETE note
- *Carex divulsa – DELETE note
- CHANGE Arctostaphylos sp. to Arctostaphylos manzanita ssp. manzanita
- CHANGE NOTE for Euphorbia serpillifolia ssp. s (Chamaesyce s. ssp. s.) to "First collected in 1906"
- Add Hesperevax acaulis var. ambusticola FIRE EVAX SPEC 968
- Dichelostemma capitatum ssp. capitatum NAME CHANGE: Dipterostemon capitatus ssp. capitatus (Dichelostemma capitatum ssp. c.)
- Cynoglossum grande NAME CHANGE: Adelinia grandis (Cynoglossum grande)
- Add Polycarpon depressum – CALIFORNIA POLYCARPON – SPEC – 969
- Earlier name change to S. nigra ssp. caerulea now changed back to Sambucus mexicana
- Add HYDROPHYLLACEAE: Nemophila, Phacelia, Pholistoma transferred to Hydrophyllaceae
- Add HELIOTROPIACEAE: Heliotropium transferred to Heliotropiaceae from Boraginaceae
- Pentachaeta alsinoides – CHANGE status to SPEC; remove Note in Print Plant List
- Triodanis biflora – ADD SPEC; CHANGE NOTE TO: "Collected in 1921, 1979, 2022"
- Githopsis specularoides: CORRECT species epithet to specularioides
- DELETE Calamagrostis koelerioides — JROH4972, collected in 1962; not reported since — Single voucher of plant #712: redetermined (7/15/2022) C. rubescens
- CHANGE Croton setiger (C. setigerus, Eremocarpus setigerus)