Temporary Employment Opportunity - Operations Assistant
Jasper Ridge Biological Preserve (JRBP) at Stanford University is seeking a 50% time Temporary Operations Assistant. Jasper Ridge Biological Preserve is located near Stanford University's main campus in the eastern foothills of the Santa Cruz Mountains. The Preserve encompasses remarkable geologic, topographic, and biological diversity within its 1,193 acres and provides a natural laboratory for researchers from all over the world, educational experiences to students and docent-led visitors, and refuge to native plants and animals. Employee will perform routine and extraordinary maintenance on the Jasper Ridge Biological Preserve buildings, infrastructure, equipment, and roads. Employee will assist the Operations Manager in the execution of special projects as needed.
Working under supervision, employee performs manual labor and operates light equipment involved in a variety of construction, maintenance and related operations. Assignments are received on a day to-day or task-by-task basis. Employee may work alone, or as a member of a crew, receiving directions about the work from the Operations Manager. Work is generally checked during progress and upon completion.
- Works to maintain buildings and other structures, including painting, roof repairs, and minor electrical, plumbing and construction work.
- Operates such light gas powered equipment as chainsaws, mowers, hedgers, augers, line trimmers, blowers, etc.
- Operates electric and pneumatic tools such as drivers, sanders, nail guns, sawzall, buffers, circular saws, chop saws, jigsaws, etc.
- Works around heavy equipment, including skid loaders, tractors and chippers.
- Sets up and takes down chairs and moves furniture and other equipment.
- Drives a truck (not to exceed 3 tons).
- May operate higher-level equipment in a training capacity.
- Maintain areas around buildings, including mowing grass and keeping bricks and walkways clear of weeds and leaves. — 10%
- Maintain roadways, including fixing potholes, ruts, and drainage issues. Apply water and/or soil cement to reduce dust. Seasonally cut back foliage from roadways and bridges, and remove obstructions as required. Seasonally mow road shoulders where needed. — 35%
- Seasonally mow along fence lines and fire staging areas. — 10%
- Perform preventative maintenance and minor repairs on gas powered tools. — 3%
- Wash and perform regular maintenance on electric vehicles, including tire repair and battery checks. — 4%
- Assist in the supervision and management of outside contractors and labor forces (e.g., American Conservation Experience, tree trimming services, preventive maintenance personnel). — 5%
- Assist on special projects as needed. — 10%
- Miscellaneous — 10%
- Assist other staff, docents, researchers and students with special projects around the preserve. — 10%
- During the academic season, provide logistics for classes in field, setup classroom and assist with special events. — 3%
- Ability to perform heavy manual work in all types of outside weather conditions.
- Ability to work in confined spaces (i.e., access holes, crawlspaces, etc.).
- Knowledge of uses and purposes of common hand tools.
- Ability to follow job-related instructions.
- Must possess a valid California driver’s license and a good driving record.
- Must be able to lift 75 lbs.
- Able to work both independently and under the auspices of the Operations Manager to maintain the Preserve and its facilities.
In the subject line, please write: “Your Name” - Applicant for Operations Assistant Position