2023 Jasper Ridge Stewardship Internship Program
Apply to be Stewardship Interns at Jasper Ridge Biological Preserve!
The two interns will join the team and work with Jasper Ridge staff, faculty and docents to support expanding stewardship efforts at Jasper Ridge Biological Preserve for, land management, protecting biodiversity, and developing resiliency for climate change. The role will include a mix of field and office work. Field work responsibilities will include working outdoors in a team to collect data related to vegetation management for wildfire resiliency, and watershed restoration. Data measurements to be collected: diversity and abundance of vegetation in multiple native ecosystems (oak woodland, chaparral, and grasslands), characterizing vegetative fuels, soil and vegetation moisture, camera traps, and animal burrows. Office responsibilities will include mentor-guided literature review and synthesis, data entry, mapping, brief presentations, and organization of field equipment.
This is an opportunity to further develop existing skills in ecology, natural history and field work, while learning about stewardship and research under the mentorship of a diverse team of scientists. The ideal candidates will have experience staying organized and be comfortable doing a mix of field and office work (sometimes under hot summer conditions or starting early to avoid extreme heat). Outcomes of this internship will directly support land management and stewardship efforts for Jasper Ridge, and interns may have the opportunity to continue involvement in this long-term research. The successful interns will learn to work increasingly independently through the summer and will complete the internship with experience working at a biological preserve, an understanding of how research, education and education are linked together, and involvement in climate change projects with an up-to-date working knowledge of wildfire resiliency issues for the region.
- 2023 Application Procedure Submission Deadline: June 16th and we will start reviewing applications immediately as they are received.
- The Jasper Ridge internship program is internally funded by Stanford and is intended for Stanford undergraduate students only. Co-term MS or MA students may be supported only if their undergraduate degree will not be conferred before the conclusion of the project.
- Valid drivers license (drive to and from campus and Jasper Ridge Biological Preserve)
- Full-time stipends are awarded at $7,000.
Important Dates and Commitments
- Completed application no later than Friday, June 16th 11:59pm PST.
- The full-time ten-week commitment to the program is from June 26th to September 1st, 2023.
- Optional participation in a poster symposium in collaboration with the Department of Biology is currently scheduled for Thursday, August 31st, 2023.
Please email your completed application materials to Dr. Jorge Ramos (jramosh "at" stanford.edu) and Dr. Sheena Sidhu (cssidhu "at" stanford.edu).